Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Need for a New Solution


The Search for a New Solution

In starting this blog, I've made contact with a number of people in the digital media industry.

One of these contacts pointed me in the direction of Intertrust. A California company that holds the original DRM patents. This organization is owned by a conglomerate of larger companies, including Philips, Sony, Samsung and I know I'm forgetting some.

Intertrust, if anyone, would have the ability to create an DRM-distribution model for independent artists where the databasing company only takes pennies per transaction instead of a hefty 15%.

I've approached this company and outlined the distribution model potential, the benefits for the fan and the artists, and it's effects on physical distribution. I've also suggested test marketing the social networking aspect of future hardware through creation of virtual devices inside Linden Labs virtual world.

The first step towards establishing a new digital media marketplace will be discovering which DRM solution will allow for this form of revenue sharing to work. So... to begin I'm looking at non-Microsoft based DRM solutions that appear to be more cross-platform.

I'll be posting more as more information comes back to me.

No comments: